Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Temptations?

"No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it."  1 Corinthians 10:13 

Food, drugs, alcohol, and sex, these seems like the big ones that we think of when we think of temptation, but what about anything that causes us to sin and stumble. What about pride, anger, negative attitudes, and gossip. Do these count as temptations as well? Have I never laughed at a off-color joke or listened to someone talk about someone else?

There is one thing I have learned in my life. God did not send me to this earth to be any one's Holy Spirit. Everyone will answer for their sins. I will answer for MY SINS alone! We all make choices. Good or bad or indifferent, we must own them as the choices WE made. NO ONE MAKES US SIN!  Let me say that again. NO ONE MAKES US SIN!!!!  We sin because we are decedents of Adam. We are forgiven because of the GRACE of God through the blood of Jesus Christ on the cross.

But then how do I keep from sinning? By keeping my eyes focused on Christ. Through prayer, bible study,  and fellowship with other believers. Anyone can appear to be "perfect", but there are NO perfect people living and breathing today. There was ONE perfect person, Jesus Christ.

It is so much easier for me not to sin when I am prepared for the battle. I know that when I'm tempted, it is easier to "regroup and recover" when I am walking the walk and talking the talk. But what about when we fail. Do I just give up and keep on sinning? Do I feel defeated? NO! I gain strength and power by being real and authentic with my Lord. He already knows everything about us. He knows our hearts.
"God would surely have known it, for he knows the secrets of every heart." Psalms 44:21

So what's the trick, the catch, the plan? How do I avoid temptations?

"But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you." John 14:26


The Holy Spirit will lead, guide and direct you if you ask him to help you. If you are a Christian, you have been blessed with a sense of right and wrong. This is the Holy Spirit in you. Feel empowered! Feel privileged! Feel Loved!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, powerful post on temptation sister. I really like the no nonsense way you put it out there, we do own our sin completely. Dilligence in prayer and constant immersion into the scriptures are what prepare us for the daily battle. God bless you sister!
    Jim
    http://blesseddad.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim,

    Just read your blog post "my journey" Wow!!!
    How blessed to have been given that dream to share. It reaffirms that God is there always.. we just have to "get our house on order" to be able to receive his love, blessings, and forgiveness.

    Thank you for your encouraging words on my post. I want truth in my life and only Gods word provides it.

    Blessings to you,

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete