Thursday, March 4, 2010

Given any bad advice lately?

I was in my car listening to a speaker talk about a situation that had happened in his family. It was so hurtful not only to those immediate family members(mom, dad, children), but to aunts, uncles, niece, and nephews as well. Our choices in life have lasting effects on the lives of others. But no one is more impacted than it's immediate family members. Some family members give advice out of their own pain and hurt, instead of taking time to take it to GOD (the ultimate restorer of souls).

I admit, I have given some BAD advice to friends and family. What I thought was truth, turned out to be hearsay, or just rumor. I REACTED by pouring out my oh so important advice, on a wounded soul. When I found out later that things were not always the way they were presented to me, or the facts had been slightly askewed, I found myself thinking, "If I had known then...."

God advises us on how to counsel someone. He says in his word, "The lips of the wise give good advice; the heart of a fool has none to give." Proverbs 15:7

This lead me to think about the advice I had given. Was it always God's Word driving my advice? Or was it "self" talking. Have you ever advised someone on something, that later you felt you adviced them wrongly? I believe we all think we may be giving sound advice, but what about Godly advice? I now stop and pray before I ever advice someone. I can always trust God to be the best counselor. If I lead them to God's word, then I am not the advisor but the vessel!
God speaks to us through his word, through prayer and meditation. When someone askes me for advice, I first say, "Let me pray about that." Not to put the person off, but because I know how hurtful wrong advice can be to the lives of those on the receiving end.

Psalms 19:14 "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you,O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."
I pray that the words I offer others are uplifting, encouraging, and GOD SPOKEN! I need to ask forgiveness to those I have wrongly advised. Thinking my advice higher than the MASTERS, is self-centered. His ways, not mine. His advice, not mine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment