Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Character


3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. 4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. 5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love. Romans 5:3-5 (New Living Translation)

I have spent years worrying over what others think of me. I have spent countless amounts of energy trying to please people. I have bent over backwards, just so I would not offend someone. And when it comes down to it........... nothing has been gained.

Character as defined by Dictionary.com: the aggregate (is a collection of items that are gathered together to form a total quantity)of features (is a distinct property)  and traits ( a distinguishing characteristic or quality, esp. of one's personal nature) that form the individual nature of some person or thing.

How then is my character developed?

....................................................................... over time.

In education, we talk about building character based on the SIX Pillars:

TRUSTWORTHINESS
RESPECT
RESPONSIBILITY
FAIRNESS
CARING
CITIZENSHIP

How does my character "stack" up?  hmmmm.....

Let's look at the opposites:
Untrustworthy
Disrespectful
Irresponsible
Unjust
Uncaring
Disregards others

If I want to build my character, it must begin with ME. I choose my actions and my reactions. I choose to work on my character or not. I choose to be one way or the other.... it is all my choice.  I will take ownership of my own character.... not based on other's opinions of me, but of my own opinion of myself.   

lastly..... I had to put this in... because even I get the two confused from time to time.....

"Often people confuse reputation with character. Reputation put simply is what people think you are and character is what you truly are."- Jack Martin





No comments:

Post a Comment