Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Being a Teen's Mom...

I won't do everything right. I will make mistakes. I will do and say the wrong thing, at the wrong times, in the wrong way.....  not because I am not trying.............. It is because I am learning.

Learning to be a mom of a baby was easy for me. I kissed and cuddled and rocked.... and loved my precious child.

Learning to be a mom of a toddler was easy too. I chased after, read to, colored with, and made more messes than I ever have in my whole life, and enjoyed every single moment of it.

Learning to be a mom of a grade school(er) was easy. I taxied from birthdays to sports to family outings. I cheered for at games. I helped with homework and packed those many lunches.

Learning to be a mom of a teenager ........... isn't easy. For either of us. Now, my actions take on different meanings for us.

To me I am supporting, to my child I am interfering.
To me I am spending quality time, to my child I am being nosy.
To me I am talking about the important issues (sex, drugs, and Satan), to my child I am lecturing.
To me I am loving, to my child I am smothering.

I know my son hears me. I just wonder if he listens.........

I am ready to set my child free in the world. (really, I am).

I believe children learn through our actions more than our words. My life is my legacy. My actions are forever ingrained in his mind. My words have hurt or healed. My love is unselfish or self serving.

As my son gets ready to enter into "his own" world...... I know my biggest power over his life now is PRAYER. I have prayed over my son for years, but never - ever like I have and during his young adult life. I know my son is saved, and that gives me insurmountable peace.

So, as I pray for guidance through these last months together..... I pray for wisdom, patience, mercy, grace and endurance for us both. We have a unique bond, us two.  Parent and child, Mother and son,  Friend and friend.




"Train up a child in the way he should go,

Even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Proverbs 22:6 (New American Standard Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment